Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Vampires

I have to admit that I'm slowly growing to hate them, much as I love my own literary creations involving them. Paranormal romance, at least to me, is a genre that has far overextended the bounds and intrigue of any relevant mythology and has bastardized it in too strong of a way to the point that vampires are no longer bound to the horror genre which spawned them.

While this can be a good thing, I believe it also destroying a lot of the mystery and intriguing aspects behind them. Not only vampires either, but also werewolves, zombies, and the like.

I enjoy fresh literature, and what the mainstream has assimilated these days does not particularly appeal to me personally, though in the same vein, I can understand why everyone is so entranced. Romance is an adventure to many, and it certainly has always been an adventure for me, and I rather enjoy that. But once it becomes the same boring story retold from many different imaginations, the story eventually gets old and changes. And with trends, that change is most often worse.

Vampires have always been a part of mythology and they always will be. That won't ever change, because you will always have purists who desire horror over romance (as in movies such as 30 Days Of Night, etc).

I prefer the Anne Rice novels as well as Let The Right One In myself.

But we must remember that romance can only go so far within the realm of beings such as vampires and werewolves and zombies, which is why I'd rather keep them in the horror/thriller/suspense category. I often find myself longing for the olden days and films such as Nosferatu (the 1970's version and the original), Vampyr, Interview With The Vampire, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and the like. Let The Right One In was one of the few newer vampire films which impressed me very much and gave me hope that this genre might not die out anytime soon.

I should certainly hope not as I am attempting to get my first completed vampire novel published.

Regardless of the directions their authors take them though, I will always love vampires. There seems to be something for everyone within the genre.

And I will finish my series, and after that? I shall write about vampires NO MORE. I've honestly grown sick of their mass appeal, and once they slip out of the mainstream and back into the shadows again from whence they came, perhaps I'll relive their most extraordinary tales.

For now though, I've much writing to finish up on other projects. Blue Car Racer is 2 chapters away from being completed, and I am most excited.

Cheerio =)

1 comment:

  1. I think you hit the nail on the head. I think it is the mystery of the vampire that makes it intriguing. I used to think it was innovation but I now believe, seeing Let the Right One In helped, that a good vampire story is the same as a good science fiction story. It must reflect or contrast a portion of human nature, while remaining slightly intangible.

    ReplyDelete