Saturday, March 12, 2011

Plagued by an unhealthy work ethic.

I just wanted to sorta throw out there that I would never, ever, recommend my work ethic involving writing to anybody. This is more or less a Ben Moody quote from back when he was still in Evanescence. I read it in Revolver Magazine once, and I believe I'm pretty much the same way. Here's a breakdown of my day:

- Wake up around 3pm.
- Work at my day job.
- Pick up a coffee from Dunkin' Donuts
- Come home and take a shower
- Turn on my laptop and space heater
- Procure snacks. This could be anything from an actual dinner plate to a package of cookies or imitation Ho-Ho's or on rare occasions, salad.
- Drink water, more coffee, or a Monster. I'm slightly addicted to Monster energy drinks.
- Fight with myself about writing and somehow go from "I DON'T WANNA DO IT RIGHT NOW!" to "If I hear any outside noises while I'm in the world of my novel that isn't ambient music (Loscil is my favorite) or my space heater, I'm gonna strangle someone."
- Feel extremely powerful, accomplished, in the zone, and ultra-connected to the emotions of my characters
- Take scattered breaks involving internet and Facebooking, Tumblring, watching Ghost In The Shell episodes, Glee, V, or Young Indiana Jones
- Write some more
- Go to bed at any time between the hours of 7am-12pm.

As you can see, this is quite obviously a HORRIBLE routine for writing, but I've been doing roughly the same thing for close to 2 years now. Last year I wrote my first novel (The Orphaned Ones) and it took me the entire year to complete. Blue Car Racer, on the other hand, is taking me less than 6 months. I'm not entirely sure how or why. My theory is that I did a whole lot more research for The Orphaned Ones, but also a lot more slacking off since I was more or less stuck in a pit of despair.

In a rather ironic twist, my life situation of fighting with my roommate and feeling awful for the entire year did end up greatly influencing the story in a direction that I was pretty much aiming for.

The moral of that little story is that bloodsuckers always win, I suppose.

Back to how my work ethic is unhealthy...I'm seriously debating a change. While it's often fun to stay up late all the time and write since I'm such a night person, it is about time I saw the open sunlight once again. I think it's been about...3 days? That's also because of adverse weather, but still. We all need some vitamin D.

Also, just a friendly reminder, don't forget to turn your clocks forward before going to bed tonight if you live in an area that observes Daylight Savings Time =)

Goodnight/morning!! Haha.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think a healthy work ethic can produce great work, although it can certainly produce good work. I'm not saying lose your balance, but keep it precarious, lest you become too content to create.

    ReplyDelete